- Trip Outline
- Trip Includes
- Trip Excludes
Enjoy 2 Days in the Titicaca Lake visiting Amantani, Taquile & Uros Islands. Titicaca lake is the highest navigable lake in the world.
- DAY 1. visit to the Uros floating islands and homestay on Amantani Island.
- 07:30 hrs. Early in the morning you will be picked up from your hotel by our local guide and then transferred to the harbor.
- We start off our boat excursion of Lake Titicaca by visiting “The Uros Floating Islands”, a small community that has lived on these reed Islands for decades.
- Centuries ago the small indigenous Uros tribe conceived of the islands as a way to isolate and protect themselves from rival tribes, the Collas and the Incas.
- The Uros people harvested the reeds in the shallows of the lake, bundled them together tightly and built floating island platforms complete with reed houses and canoes, creating in this way their own little world.
- After strolling around the floating Islands, we continue our journey towards “Amantani Island”, where we will spend the rest of the day and the night. Upon arrival, a group of native families will welcomed you at the harbor, and afterwards the guide will introduce you the family that will provide you lodging in their house.
- The group is split in couples, so each couple goes with one family. In the afternoon we will walk up to the highest point of the Islands to explore ancient ruins on a mountain called by locals Pachamama.
- By night, visitors are invited to a particular party. Our local families will provide traditional clothing to attend this nice Andean party, at the house; men are given ponchos and wooly hats, the hats are hand-made by the families, with unique styles, so that they can recognize you in the hall.
- Overnight at a family house on the Amantani island.
- DAY 2. visit to Taquile island and return to Puno in the afternoon
- 08:00 hrs. After breakfast, we will have to say goodbye to our local family and go down to the harbor to meet the rest of the group. Afterwards we will sail towards “Taquile Island” (1 hour aprox.), a traditional Quechua speaking community, full of ancient agricultural terraces and some ruins dating back to the pre-Inca times.
- The Taquile population was relatively isolated from the mainland until 1950s, and the notion of the community and family is still very strong among them. The weaving tradition of the Taquile Island goes back to early civilizations, thus keeps elements from pre-Inca Andean cultures alive in the present. All weaving is done on pre-Inca fixed and pedal looms. The most characteristic garments are the so-called “Chullo”, a knitted hat with an earflap, and “The Calendar Waistband”, depicting the annual cycles connected to ritual and agricultural activities. When visitors reach the island, they will have to walk up along a narrow path, enjoying on the way impressive views of the Lake Titicaca and also see gorgeous little houses inhabited by the direct decedents of the Inca Culture.
- After lunch, we will descent to the harbor to take our boat back to Puno. We will be getting there by 17:00 hrs. Approximately. End of the tour.
Time : 07:30
Visit to the Uros floating islands and homestay on Amantani Island
Time : 08:00
DAY 2. Visit to Taquile island and return to Puno in the afternoonEnd of the trip in Puno city at 15:00
- Hotel pick up
- Boat trip
- English-speaking guide
- Meals (1 lunch, 1 dinner, 1 breakfast)
- Accommodation in a local family
- Entrance Fee
- Return to Puno, pick up from the Titicaca lake dock and transfer to the hotel
- Water & snack
Pricing NameStartEndGroup (Min-Max)Pricing
•Bear in mind that meals offered on this homestay program is very basic so suggest bringing some fruits and snacks extra just in case.
•On this tour must bring warm clothing, as temperatures at night are very cold sometimes. We strongly suggest to bring along, gloves, wooly hats, chocolates, and a bottle of water
•Local families will provide every customer a bed and blankets. Accommodation provided on Amantani Island is very simple. If you need more blankets just request them to your local family
•Bathrooms are located outside the rooms, so bring a flashlight along, as there is no electricity on Amantani Island, headlights are very useful
•We suggest to bring also some toys for the little kids on the island or notebooks, pencils, pens,books,which can be easily purchased at the harbor market before departing,they would really appreciate that nice gesture from you.